Engineers evacuated over fire scare
Staff and students were evacuated from all four engineering buildings yesterday afternoon, as smoke filled the basement of the Civil Engineering department.
Smoke was spotted at 1.50pm on Monday afternoon with University security staff and fire wardens arriving on the scene to evacuate people from the Mechanical and Civil Engineering buildings, closely followed by Electrical Engineering.
Eyewitnesses have told this paper that three fire engines and numerous police cars arrived to the scene shortly after.
The West Yorkshire Fire Service has confirmed that, on arrival, two fire-fighters entered the building wearing breathing equipment to investigate.
They further confirmed that the duo could not identify the cause of the smoke and so had to return after an hour.
Staff and students were told to go home for the afternoon at around 4pm.
The University announced this morning that the Fire Service have now concluded that the smoke was caused by smouldering embers from insulating fibreboard located between a vaulted roof and an adjoining wall above room G02 in Civil Engineering.
It is believed that the smouldering embers were created by hot tar and cement from building work on the roof.
At 9.30am this morning one fire engine and five fire fighters were still outside the building.
More information to follow in Friday’s Leeds Student.